Monday, December 31, 2012

Carmel + Big Sur


This past week, I had the extreme pleasure of getting to visit Carmel and Big Sur for the first time. I know, it's completely nuts that I have never been to either before, particularly since I lived in Santa Cruz, while attending holistic culinary school. I know that the north coast has its magic too, but I'm going to speak from my own experience, since I've spent more time more central. The air on the central coast is just different, and you can feel it immediately. It is like breathing in a fresh breath of love. I don't know how else to describe it. The air crawls up to your cheeks and the cold of the ocean bites you out of adoration. It becomes clear here (because it's easy to forget sometimes) that the universe loves you. The sky welcomes you home and it wakes you up. It invigorates the soul and brings the body back to life.

All year round it's my job to take care of other people, so it's important to take time off and take care of myself too. I was thinking about places within a reasonable distance, and this fit perfectly. There was something about this place that kept calling to me and I knew I had to go there. If you look at some of the places in which I have lived, like Boston and London, you can tell that I don't mind the cold... in fact, I welcome it if it takes me to a city (or countryside) that is beaming with energy. I like the cold because it tickles you awake and it encourages intimacy, fireplaces, snuggles and good conversation. And also, there is nothing more exciting than the wind. Here are some of my adventures through photographs:


Bixby Bridge :) 


 Cows eating grass on the open range, like they're supposed to.


There is something special about this place, as you can see by this picture. It almost doesn't feel real, like you're dreaming up a story in your head.


Hurricane Point. The clouds dance with the sea here.


 A water glass at Sierra Mar, an amazing restaurant and dining experience.


 Inside Sierra Mar. Here, it looks as if you are dining in the clouds.


La Playa Carmel, our charming little hotel. It was beautiful, and fireplaces have a tendency to woo me.


Ocean Avenue, the quaint main street in Carmel-by-the-sea.

Some Not-to-be-missed Spots in Carmel + Big Sur:

~La Playa Carmel for sleeping~
~Bixby Bridge for being inspired~
~Post Ranch Inn for being pampered~
~Sierra Mar for dining in the clouds~
~The Marinus Restaurant at the Bernardus Lodge for a romantic gourmet dinner~
~Sushi Heaven for some laid back good eats~
~The Chinese Foot Massage Place Next Door to Sushi Heaven for a cheap, fantastic massage (they do way more than feet here and it is great for relaxing after dinner)~
~Carriaccoli's for the best pink champagne in Carmel~
~Spyglass Golf Course at Pebble Beach for one of the best golf views ever~
~Monterey Bay Aquarium for some stunning sea life~
~Wrath Tasting Room for consistently good wines~
~Figge Tasting Room for some more consistently good wines~
~Luca Italian Restaurant for good appetizers and small bites~ 

I hope that you get to visit Carmel-by-the-sea, Big Sur and all the areas that surround it someday. If you can make it to Santa Cruz, I recommend that as well, as that's another special little area, though much different than these above here. xx, dani.

No comments:

Post a Comment